Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Made By Lolly: August Sundresses

The red-headed sisters are starting kindergarten and pre-school....that's code to Lolly for "make-new-dresses-so-they-look-extra-cute"! 
I used a Burda pattern to sew up a couple of cotton sundresses to wear in this hot, hot weather. (See another version here.)
You got a peek at both garments last week in my posts. Here they are all finished and ready for the girls to try on. I was hoping that I'd gotten the sizing right as I've found, from past experience, that the pattern runs too wide across the chest. I made some adjustments.
The girls were extra excited about getting new dresses for school and agreed to pose for pictures so that I could show you all how they looked on them.
Jane's sundress was still a bit wide for her small frame. She wears a size 3 or 4 in ready made clothing and I had cut the top using the size 2 pattern and then even taken it up a little after that. It still looks cute, though, and will work as a jumper with a tee underneath in cooler weather.
I didn't mention the creative piecing that took place in the back of the skirt and, as expected, no one noticed! We all love the sweet floral print.
Lula named her dress, The Honey Dress. She even made up a little dance to do while wearing it! Her favorite part is the contrasting band around the bottom and mentioned it several times. (I added the band to lengthen the skirt when I didn't have quite enough fabric for her long legs!)
The golden yellow hue looks pretty with her hair and I think that I got the fit just right for her size 6 slim body.
Coincidentally, the sisters had cute saltwater sandals in their closets to match their dresses. 
We couldn't have planned it better! 

11 comments:

  1. I don't know what is more adorable - the dresses, the matching sandals or the sweet little models! of course- the girls! I am also confused- pre-school and kinder are the same thing here in Australia! Help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Utterly adorable! She's so right about the trim, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute dresses on cute little girls and matching sandals!!!! It doesn't get any better than that! Your piping detail makes them look very professional, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're adorable! The dresses too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfectly adorable!! (I love how you hang them on the chairs for pictures!) The girls are "sweet as honey" :) Thanks so much for sharing them with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such charming girls and such beautiful dresses! I think they are very lucky to have a grandma to sew for them, and to sew so beautifully. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well Loly....you did it again! These are so cute and I think they fit perfectly. The colors are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too. Much. Cuteness.
    I would wear these if they were in my size!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMgosh! These girls, in these dresses, with these shoes, are cuteness personified! You were spot on with your pattern and fabric choices. I can't gush enough over these. SO very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable dresses!!! I am impressed with your garment sewing skills. I don't need to tell you that your granddaughters are beautiful! Love the pictures - capturing their happy faces.

    ReplyDelete