Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Sampler Quilting

Since I am getting ready to quilt my Friendship x and + quilt, I decided that it might be a good idea to brush up on my free-motion quilting skills. I found this cheerful quilt top in my sewing closet....ready and waiting to become a quilting sampler!
 The inspirational Angela Walters was the guest speaker at one of my quilt guilds this month so I wanted to try out a couple of her ideas. The No-Mark book is a recent addition to my quilting library. (I use pre-wound bobbins when I quilt. Do you?)
 Both books gave me ideas for some simple shapes...the kind that this "Utilitarian Quilter" might be able to handle. 
 Right now, I don't have a certain purpose in mind for this quilt...perhaps I will donate it to charity. Where ever it ends up, the quilting on it will be interesting, let's just say... I probably tried a half dozen different designs on it!
Stop by tomorrow to see the finish!

10 comments:

  1. What a bright happy looking quilt! Love what I see of both the front and the back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a happy, scrappy quilt! I don't know what pre-wound bobbins are? Do you buy them done for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful and I'm sure you'll be ready by the time you finish this. What frame is your Juki on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look like such helpful books! I will have to make a note to look out for them. I struggle with quilting designs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait to get back to sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that quilt top is SO pretty! I bet it's one of your leaders-and-enders projects. No, I've never used pre wound bobbins. Are those available for all domestic sewing machine brands? I bet you're having a blast with those different quilting stitches. It's nice to have a quilt design like that where all-over works. Enjoy! (After a too-long hiatus, I'm SO anxious to sew again!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute scrappy quilt. I love the back. I just got set up with a Juki 2010 on a Grace wooden frame. I'm going to have to do a time warp on your blog and check out your old posts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute quilt...can't wait to see it quilted. I have a Juki on a frame also. What brand of pre-wounds do you use? My machine tends to be fickle when I use them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a row quilt that I am going to use to practice my FMQ on. I'm so nervous to finish up my x and +. Oh well.
    Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I also wonder about the frame your Juki is on. I'm sure you have shared the information before. I so wish I had the space to have a frame like that. I think my hands would be so much happier--my arthritic thumbs do NOT enjoy "quilt wrestling...."

    ReplyDelete